We went to our annual church convention the end of August up near Eugene. Thursday night after dinner, our very busy, very quick daughter ended up spilling hot coffee down her front and burning her from her chin down to just below her belly button. So horrible. It's amazing how fast things can happen. We were just outside the dining room and the kids were playing. Elena took off and headed back into the dining room. Will was right behind her, but just as quick as a flash, she picked up a cup someone had set down on a table and tried to drink it. She immediately dropped it and started screaming, but the coffee went all the way down her torso and abdomen. Will grabbed her and started tearing her clothes off and it was very apparent that it wasn't good. I picked Orrin up and followed Will who was running down the hill toward our car. Trevin stayed with Cubby and Seanna. I was trying to find my Mom or Angie or someone I could leave Orrin with. Spotted Kylee down the hill so handed him over, yelling instructions about diapers and sippy cups as I kept running. Of course, in all the chaos, I couldn't find my keys. Luckily Will had his truck at Convention also so we went in that. Craig J jumped in the truck with us. Harvey H had told us to head to Springfield because they have a burn center there. A very scary and miserable drive with a screaming child. They took us right back when we arrived at the Emergency Room. Amazingly enough, we weren't there very long. I think less than an hour from start to finish. They gave her some pain medication and wrapped the burn. Gave us instructions to get through the night; we would see our pediatrician the next day. We went back to the Convention grounds arriving around 9:00 pm. I won't ever forget coming up the driveway at Saginaw and seeing my Mom and Dad sitting on the bench with Orrin. We had the windows in the truck down coming up the drive and as soon as Orrin spotted us he started giggling/laughing/shrieking! It was so cute! He was so excited to see his sissy. Elena was pretty out of it from the pain meds. She wouldn't let anyone hold her except me or Mom. I remember Mom being so cautious, almost afraid, to hold her because of her burn. We decided that I needed to head for home with the twins. Will and Trevin stayed at Convention, which was SO hard for Will to do. He was so worried about Elena. We had rented a travel trailer so Will needed to tow that home. Angie ended up driving us home so I could sit in back with the twins. When things finally settle is when things really hit you. (Or at least me!) I think I cried a good chunk of the drive home....so many emotions!
The appointment on Friday with our pediatrician started a series of appointments over the next several weeks. They needed to see the burn and debride it and redress it. Elena started running a persistent fever over the weekend. There was concern of an infection and we ended up doing blood work to be certain. No infection. The debridment appointments were very NOT fun. Even with pain medication, it was a very miserable process for our poor baby. She's healing well...and the Dr anticipates minimal scarring. There is a small area below her belly button that the coffee must have pooled. I didn't even think to take her diaper off when it all happened. That area is a deeper burn and will probably leave a small scar.
 |
| In the ER...somewhat calm with her Mommy |
 |
| Poor thing! |
 |
| Pain meds made her VERY sleepy! |
 |
| Getting Elena's blood drawn. My kiddos did SO good! |
No comments:
Post a Comment